Guinea Pigs, Grass and Grim.

Go down

Guinea Pigs, Grass and Grim.

Post by MousenHeath on Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:30 pm

"Oi! Sebastian! I found another one!" Mousen Heath called, herself holding up a rather fat brown guinea pig. "That makes two-hundred and three now, right?" she asked, the southern Nyxian accent prominent in her voice. It could have well been mistaken for the wide tone of a Yorkshire accent. Though considering one of the main glitches of Nyx is in the quiet area of North Yorkshire it comes as no surprise.

"Yeah." Replied a quieter voice. The voice belonging to Mousen's younger brother Sebastian. His uncut copper hair fell ungainly into his eyes, covering his wire frame glasses. "We still need to find four more though." He added. Sebastian was a head taller that Mousen, and very skinny. Mousen often referred to him as a beanpole.

Mousen just pulled a face, sighing slightly. "We'll find them." She pulled her mousey brown fringe off her forehead for a moment; scouring the large garden for any signs of guinea-pig life. Their large cottage was separate from the others; perhaps it was something to do with the fact the whole of the Heath family were shapeshifters. Shapeshifters not being the best people to live next-door to; themselves being generally chaotic and quite happy to break necks if the need arose. Hec their happy to break necks without a need. So it were an obvious choice for the shapeshifters themselves to be away from the others at the Settlements.

"Grim?" she asked quietly her eyes scanning a wizened apple tree.
"Wauph!" was the startled reply as a certain person fell out of the tree. His skin had the pallor of death and his jet-black hair was matted with blood. Surprisingly the female shapeshifter didn't bat an eyelid. Grim Bartholomew Lore had been this way for many years. He was an immortal, sentenced to feel all the pain he caused others for an eternity. It had been over thirty years since he'd first been cursed and it wasn't getting any easier. There had once been two terrible wars in Nyx. When their last queen had died her power hungry son had taken power. Leaving death and destruction where ever he went. In the end his sister's husband fought him and peace reined again. Though there was a second war; Pollux (as was his name) returned, from the dead, himself evoking a powerful enchantment to do so. Grim had been Nyxia's (Nyx the second and creator of Nyx) lover, she suddenly left; seeking information about the newest prince. Grim was soon turned by Pollux and the raids began. Of course Pollux was defeated by Prince Polaris, after many years of hardship. Though the royal family had never been the same since. They had not been seen since the defeat of Pollux. Many of their closest friends had been lost. Both the Prince's wife and child had both been killed and his sister injured gravely. Grim himself was cursed by Nyxia and a shadow fell over Nyx.

It was only now things were beginning to change. Nyxia and her accomplices were back in the realm; Montague, Gwenwyn and Arrats. Each seeking to make the long suffering immortal's life as foul as possible. As yet there was no sign of the royal family.

"Grim, nice of you to drop by." The groan wasn't only from Grim but Sebastian was well. "Aw, c'mon guys. My joke wasn't that bad."

"It was." Said Sebastian shortly.

It was a strange set of events that lead Grim to become almost family to the shapeshifters. Some of the greatest minds in Nyxian history had been assigned Guardians; some of the most stupid people in history had also been assigned Guardians. No-one is quite sure why people become guardians or why some people are assigned them. They just are. It's an old Teithwyr belief that Guardians are there to make sure the guardee stays to the fated path. For otherwise they would diverge and many things would fall out of place.

"Sebastian is right." Grim said shortly, grabbing Mousen's hat for a moment so he could ruffle her hair.
"Go help Sebastian find four guinea-pigs. I'd promised Nathaniel I was going to accompany him to the Towers of Shroom to see how things worked around there. I'm not." At this Mousen laughed, her eyes flickering different shades of blue in a slightly disturbing manner. "I'm walking the dog instead, I'll be back whenever." 'Dog' was a bit of an understatement. The dog was a huge black beast with red eyes and six inch fangs. He was a werewolf/(Alsation/Irish Wolf Hound)/ Black Shuck cross. They assumed he had some demon in him too. Though since shapeshifters too had alot of demon blood it wasn't much to worry about. Tibbles stood up to Mousen's shoulder. He was over twice her height when he stood up on his hind legs. His black fur was matted and he drooled as if hungry, a mass of rope in his jaws "Good boy Tiberius." Mousen reached up to pet the dog on the head before taking the sodden rope out of his mouth. "Look, he brought me his lead." she cooed.

Grim just shook his head slightly. Who signed him up for this again?

Last edited by Mousenheath on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Down the winding path he trod,
Kilholmes in his wake.
For the silvy estolhod,
And the hoolesnake.
MousenHeath
The Scary Admin. Mwahaha!

Rhune stones : 150

http://islandofnyx.forum-motion.com

Back to top Go down

Part Two; In the Castle.

Post by MousenHeath on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:12 pm

There was no mistaking the fact the large building was beautiful. In it's former glory it could have perhaps been a palace; it was after all where the royal family had lived since they had been chosen by Nyxia. The place looked more like some children's toy; something too beautiful to be real. It seemed if the whole building was built on a mere whim. Long sharp looking pieces of grey stone crossed over, they were covered by ivy and roses. In between them was stained glass windows. Slowly the grey stone faded down to a smaller size, and a door in place. Off to the sides was countless mushroom towers that had sprung up; due to the high amount of magic. Though it is inside were the second half of this starts.
Polaris paced around the huge entrance hall. It wasn't anxiousness or even anger. It was boredom. Never had the prince ever felt so hopeless; his family had been torn apart by the last war, even more so than the first time; the wounds from it still pained him even now. It had been a long time since it had happened and Polaris needed to get out of here. The castle and adjoining towers where beautiful, yes. Though he needed to get out. He doubted he could stay in this place for another ten minutes.

In his human form there was still no doubt who he was. His white hair was long. It was tied off his face. He wore only black; still in mourning for those lost. Though most strangely a large birthmark sat on his shoulder and curled his neck, just coming above the jawline. That wasn't the strangest thing though; the strangest thing was the fact it was blue; just like the mark in his equine form.

Polaris ran up the grey stone steps taking two at a time. A butler paused on his way down; giving the prince a curious glance. It wasn't long before he reached to top floor; after years of going up and down steps a few hundred becomes an inferior amount. "Mother?" he called; for some reason he'd thought she was in Saiph's room. He was usually never wrong at this sort of thing; momentary panic flooded him. He shook it off, she could be right every time, could he? All the same he knocked at Saiph's door. "Saiph, sister? Have you seen Gienah around? I thought she was with you for some reason."
Only silence followed. Polaris wasn't worried; it was rare Saiph spoke anymore. It had been a long shot asking her anything. Gently he knocked on the again, making sure she knew his intention was to come in. Everything was normal. His sister dressed in black was sat by the window seat, staring blankly out; a goblet of spring water in her hands. He tried to meet her eyes with his own, though they remained firmly fixed on the horizon. "It's not the same as dew is it? You could swear the butlers are getting lazier by the day." Polaris tried to chuckle at his lousy attempt at a joke; though Saiph remained emotionless. "If you see our mother will you tell her I've gone out?" he sighed, running a hand through his hair. Something he only did when he was worried. With another sigh Polaris turned to leave.

"You're going out?" Saiph asked, her voice was weak as raspy though disuse.
"Yes. I cannot take it here any more." He sounded more harsh than he'd meant to be.
"What time should Mother send a guard out, if you do not come home?" There were traces of her once beautiful voice in there; though they were faint.
"She shouldn't. I don't know how long I'm going to be out. This isn't the days of the war anymore. I'm more than capable of taking care of myself." That was much harsher than he'd meant. Though he couldn't stop himself from slamming the ancient oak door in it's frame. He rushed down the stairs, not even bothering to look where he was going.

"Is everything okay, Sir?" No-one knew quite what to call Polaris anymore. He had been married before the war, so the title of 'master*' had been dropped. Now after the war, after he'd lost his love, no-one knew what to call him; because they couldn't really go back to calling him what they had been previously.

"Everything is fine, Smithyweight. I suggest you stop bothering me if you want to keep your job!" Polaris growled; Smithyweight was one of their oldest and most trusted butlers. There was not a chance anyone had said that to him for decades. Smithyweight just bowed and looked apologetic as Polaris rushed past. He sighed after he heard the slamming of the entrance door. The poor Prince was turning so bitter.

Last edited by MousenHeath on Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kilholmes in his wake.
For the silvy estolhod,
And the hoolesnake.
MousenHeath

Back to top Go down

Re: Guinea Pigs, Grass and Grim.

Post by MousenHeath on Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:40 am

The minute Mousen entered the forests she knew there would be no chance of walking the dog; every leaf on the trees, every whisper of the winds spoke of the fey. The fey blood within her veins was calling; she would be powerless against it. "O noso sangue, do mesmo xeito; corre nas miñas veas, irmáns da mina. Non vou caer nos seus encantos, nin os seus trucos para nós somos un. O sangue, o mesmo que executa nosas veas, irmáns da mina." She barely had enough time to utter a simple protective verse before the fey blood over came everything; most shapeshifters would be drawn here today; even if they didn't realize it. Shapeshifters had the blood on many things,pure bred mutt the early shapeshifters were; a bit demon, a bit fey, a bit human; completely mad of course. On days like this the stronger fey blood would blot out all influence from the others, for the shapeshifter it is a call that cannot go unanswered.

The usual blue was gone, instead Mousen's eyes were dark; only a few pinpricks of light in their depths. Her fingers trailed along some seeded grass; the sounded more like a rustling wind chime than actual grass. The melodious chirping of various birds became just a background noise. It were only the song of the forest that sung now. Mousen was quickly in her Hare form scampering over rocks and jumping through tufts of grass. She was slightly ungainly and has yet to master the grace of a hare; but she was getting there; albeit slowly. Every so often her large brown ears would prick to the sound of some forest life as she ran deeper into the heart of the forest. It was a rare exhilarating moment; one where she was truly at one with the forest and more precisely the fey creature that was calling. It was a dangerous moment too; there was no way of knowing whether the court was seelie or unseelie; or even if it was a court calling at all. Though all mundane thoughts were at the back of Mousen's mind; there was only room for one thought, it was; answer the call.

Many shapeshifters were afraid of the fey; they would fight and resist them; not Mousen. She had little choice anyway; fighting would just make everything worse, she didn't mind starting pointless fights with her siblings; though the fey were another matter altogether.
-
Polaris stopped dead, he was at the very epicentre of the forest; he knew from the tree. It wasn't just any tree; it was the sapling Nyxia had stood by while creating the forest; it was a grand oak; it's branches splayed out; making the most elaborate and perfect throne. The suffering prince almost felt emotional at seeing it again; the tree was old. As old as Nyx itself was; while people had come and gone, it had stood. Now it was growing old, many of the branches looked dead, the beginnings of woodworm showing; the gnarled trunk no longer looked wild and untameable; it just looked sad; and old. Just a few withered leaves hung on the old branches; it was dying.

A fierce, almost slightly wild hope came into his damp eyes. He approached the tree, his feet sliding on the newly shed wet leaves; he looked almost as ungainly as Mousen. With a soft chuckle he turned to to tree. There was some life in it; all you had to do was bring it forward. "Tyfwch, yn byw." He muttered; it wasn't the words said; it was the feeling put into them. English was such a weak language; made up of everyone else's; it was easier to speak that than most other things; especially if you didn't want to risk a momentary flare of magic. Welsh was a popular choice.

If only saving is beloved had been that easy; he would have still had her then, and- Polaris broke of his thoughts, leaning against the tree he had been so intent on saving; the sudden change in mood was most unusual for Polaris; though it was an unusual set of circumstances. The anger was fluttering despair and a hope for something better.
-
The hare that was Mousen skidded to a halt, almost banging her rodent head against a young silver birch. A small change came into her eyes; she had finally reached the call. The in-between grey-blue came back into her eyes; it was only then she looked up; changing into her human form at the same time. Even herself who usually (sometimes) had a smart answer for everything couldn't keep her cool. It took her several moments to find her voice. "P-p-prince Polaris." She squeaked, slightly breathless.

His head whipped up, a small amount of surprise in his dark eyes. "Hello?" he asked; regretting it immediately; he had sounded so gormless.
Mousen had never met someone from the royal family before; in her surprise she'd forgotten everything one usually did around someone important; bow/curtsey perhaps be polite, call them by their title; none of that came to mind. Instead she stood gawking like an idiot while her mind worked out what to do. "Are you okay?"

Polaris gave a half smile. "Not really." he admitted. He couldn't bring himself to put on all the airs and graces he was supposed to have. Her impression of him must now be very jumbled. He was supposed to be the wonderful kind prince, or whatever he was portrayed as in the history books. He felt completely drained; not from anything physical, just the mental strain of the past years and his position within the realm.
"Ain't you- Sorry, Aren't you supposed to be hiding within the castle?" There was no fear in her tone; after her initial shock she was back to her old self. Completely and painfully honest.
"Yes, I am." She's expected him to argue, or perhaps even act a little offended; but Polaris agreed with Mousen whole heartedly on that one. "Oh, how rude of me; since you know who I am, though I don't know who you are; could you perhaps remedy that?"
"I'm Mouse, Mousen Heath; shapeshifter, tamer of feet loving chickens and all around ne'er do well."

"Nice to meet you." Again the half hearted smile was on his face, and Polaris's gaze was back on the tree.
"I came at a bad time." There was no mistaking that. "Start talking; some people lock things away in boxes. Sometimes that's helpful, but then the damn box is so big you can't move past it, you can't let it rule your life." Mentally Mousen smiled; they said she couldn't be deep. Pffft.
"No, I can't. Some things are better left where they lie."
"So are you going to bottle everything up forever; are you never going to feel anything because you're scared of the pain? You have to over come it! Not freaking hide from it. You're a coward, Polaris. You may be what ever the hell you are, but you can't live like this! You have to become a real person again! You have to live! You aren't a statue! I know you have some emotions whether they have been suppressed for the past however many years!" With every word she was digging herself a deeper hole; but she was angry. Too angry for prissy titles or any of the crap the prince had surrounded himself with. She was loosing it; the edges of her mind were going black; Mousen dug her hand into the trunk of a tree. Trying to calm herself down. "Coward." she muttered.

In a flash of white fur, and a broken temper Polaris was in his animal form and apparently he wanted to skewer Mousen. She too leapt, a tiny wildcat against the large unicorn, everything out her head except a desire to puncture something important with her feline claws. Polaris stopped a moment after they clashed; Mousen dropped to the floor, a bit bruised to say the least; Polaris stood up for a moment, a couple pinpricks of blood on his white fur, it was he switched back into human form; he buried his head in his hands, as he sat on the forest floor; the smell of rotting leaves in the air.

It was an awkward moment; Mousen now in her human form just petted his shoulder in what she hoped was a soothing manner. She didn't say anything; instead she just watched the throne oak's leaves become more green. After what seemed like an age Polaris stood up with a slight sigh. "Thank you; if there's anything I can do for you, I'd be happy too." He'd found a piece of himself he'd believed lost, and a young girl had managed to provoke him into attacking; after he'd killed Pollux he swore he'd never hurt another living thing again; so much for that.
"There is, actually. I'd love to see my sibling's faces if you arrived at the doorstep. I don't think my mother will be cooking anything really inedible; accidental caterpillar salad most likely. The accidental part being the salad."

With a small laugh Polaris followed Mousen, only pausing to ruffle her hair; everyone ruffled Mousen's hair.

Kilholmes in his wake.
For the silvy estolhod,
And the hoolesnake.
MousenHeath

Back to top Go down

Re: Guinea Pigs, Grass and Grim.

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content